Noted Climatologist Asks ‘Fellow Republicans’:
Think Climate Change is Real Now?
Make sure you don’t have a mouthful of your favorite beverage of choice before reading the part referring to Meghan McCain as a “political analyst.” That’s like calling Chelsea Clinton a “seasoned news reporter.”
From The Hill:
Political analyst Meghan McCain, daughter of Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.), is challenging widespread GOP skepticism about climate change in the wake of Hurricane Sandy.
“So are we still going to go with climate change not being real fellow republicans [sic]?” McCain wrote, via Twitter, around midnight as the storm was slamming ashore.
The Washington Post closely examines the climate change-storm nexus here, while NPR explores it here.
Both outlets look at a 2012 study by the United Nation’s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change on extreme weather and climate change.
That study finds that researchers currently have “low confidence” in tying cyclone activity in recent decades to climate change.
“Ommigod she was like ‘believe in climate change now’ and I was all like ‘Al Gore is a scammer’ and she was like ‘you are like so in denial’ and I was all like ‘you are!’”
For the record, I believe these things are due to climate change — but not the kind of climate change McCain’s referring to (the “let’s all help make Al Gore a billionaire” kind), but rather the kind of cyclical climate change that’s been going on for a long, long time. Look it up, Meghan… there were nasty weather events long before the invention of the gas powered leaf blower and coal furnace.
More from the author:
- Obama: Voting is the Best Revenge Against Mitt Romney
- Think Obama Wishes Bloomberg Would Have Kept That Endorsement to Himself?
- Any Volunteers to Drive a Fisker Karma Through a Deep Puddle?
- ‘Happy Halloween’ Open Thread — Plus ‘How to Turn Trick-or-Treaters Into Conservatives’ Video
- Gingrich: US Senator Told Me at Least 2 Networks Have NSA Emails Ordering ‘Stand Down’ on Benghazi Rescue
- Noted Climatologist Asks ‘Fellow Republicans’: Think Climate Change is Real Now?
- Retired Chief of US Pacific Fleet: Ignoring Pleas for Assistance From Those Under Attack in Benghazi ‘Incomprehensible and Un-American’
- New York Times presidential endorsements over the years
- Video: Kids Sing About What Failed D-Bags Their Parents are if They Vote for Romney or Something
- Benghazi: How Did Obama Not Know?
- American Thinker
- American Spectator